The Rum Factory born under the name of "Rhumerie Martiniquaise", was created in 1932 by Joseph Louville.
Joseph Louville bought an antique dealer's shop at 166 boulevard Saint-Germain and, with his three sons Albert, Jules and Servulle, inaugurated : La Rhumerie martiniquaisewhich becomes The Rum Factory so as not to attribute the virtues of rum to a single island. After the Second World War, Parisians rediscovered their city.
A festive, cultural and artistic atmosphere gradually took hold in Saint Germain des Prés. The rising tide of existentialism was reflected in the literary cafés with Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone De Beauvoir on the one hand, and in the cellars where Greco and Mouloudji sang and the jazzmen Sidney Bechet, Claude Lutter and many others performed on the other...
The Louville brothers played host to squads of celebrities: Henri Salvador, Georges Bataille, Antonin Artaud, Marcel Aymé, Man Ray... broke students and bohemians.
Today, Joseph Louville's great-granddaughter is continuing his passion for rum.
La Rhumerie, An exotic café dedicated to rum, with a West Indian atmosphere and a decor of blond wood and rattan, is still sharing its destiny with new lovers of this eau-de-vie from faraway islands, those leeward islands where tropical paradise shines on the horizon.